Experimental Digital Art Part 2 (Designing a Totebag)


I’ve always liked the idea of making a design and implementing it on a piece of clothing; be it a t-shirt, or a bag. I did not want it to be with fabric paint, or to be something traditional so I decided I would make a digital piece and then print it on a tote bag.

Now, digital art is not my forte so it would be a little bit of a challenge to come up with a design I would be satisfied with. So as I do before any serious art piece I started to doodle random and ugly looking drawings.


I came up with several designs but only four really stuck out to me. The first was my favorite and it was a praying mantis in a boxing stance with boxing gloves. The second was the one I was least convinced with despite being very simple; a crab with a mustache. The third was very mainstream and overdone and it was a skull with an intertwined centipede. Finally, the fourth and last design; a geometric fragmentation.

I decided to pick the first or third option since they were the ones I liked the most.



 So, with a renewed burst of inspiration I started to get working on the digital design. I looked up a few pictures of praying mantises and practiced drawing them and eventually started drawing the main piece. The tote bag I wanted was black so I had to make sure that the canvas on the program I was using was also set to black. I experimented with a few colors for the praying mantis until I decided to keep it simple and just make it white (with the exception of the red boxing gloves.)


As soon as I finished I felt so satisfied with my design. It had such a balance of detail and yet it still retained some cartoonish elements. After finishing the boxing praying mantis I moved on the more “cliché” skull design. I wanted it to still be similar; with elements of a black background, white drawing and some red.



Honestly with this design I felt less satisfied, it looked pretty basic and uninspired. What surprised me though was that when I showed it to my friends they seemed to really like it. Personally I really loved the boxing praying mantis, I preferred it over the skull with the centipede.

Overall I think what encouraged me to try out this style the most is the fact that it was digital art. I think what I appreciate the most about digital art is how I feel encouraged to try out new styles. The idea of just being able to “CTR-Z” my way out of any mistake is very reassuring.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Experimental Digital Art Part 1 (Trying Out Abstract Digital Art)

Doodles

Acrylic Paint (Colorful Traditional Art)